Annabel May is currently undertaking a Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship at New Schools Network. 

What a year! Upon writing this blog, I had no idea where to start. To try and condense the events that have occurred over the past 365 days into one blog post is definitely a challenge for even the most established writers. 

The definition of failure is the ‘lack of success’, but this strikes me as being greatly subjective as everyone measures success in different ways. So, one person’s failures may be another person’s successes. Personally, I can definitely describe times this year that could be considered failures from mistakes with starting a new job to being rejected from apprenticeship opportunities, there was certainly a lack of success at both of these times. From a negative perspective, these were definitely failures but looking in a more positive light all of the mistakes that I have made I have now learned from and won’t make again. Plus, I may have had several interviews and made a presentation for an interview to only be rejected, but I now have loads of interview practice which can only be seen as a great attribute. After looking at my failures over the past year I have found that in order to keep myself sane I have to look at them in a positive light and ‘learning opportunities’, as dwelling on negativity can be rather depressing.

Especially with working from home, I have found that sometimes I find myself thinking that I am the only one with a failure or lack of success at certain times. This thought is escalated by the perfect posts that you see on Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook etc. It is very easy to think that everyone else has their lives sorted, although this is not the case. Among the 7.8 billion people living on earth, I highly doubt that there is one perfect human being that has never made a mistake. With this thought in mind, I definitely think that it is important to rationalise events/failures. To help me rationalise my failures I always think about: will I still be thinking about it in six months’ time? If no, then the reality is that the failure probably isn’t that bad and could perhaps be heightened by your internal thoughts. If you answered yes to the question, then now is the time to do something about the issue and talk to someone to help with whatever may be going on. After all a problem shared is a problem halved.

To whoever may be reading this article I hope that you found it insightful and the actuality of life is that everyone fails but the most important aspect of a failure is how you come back from it better and stronger. 

Share your 2020 reflections and lessons in the comments below!

Other news