Hi Lizzie! Firstly, can you start by telling us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Lizzie Rendell and I work as a Strategic Markets Manager at Skanska, one of the world’s leading construction and development businesses. I also chair Skanska UK’s LGBT+ network. 

How will you be celebrating this year? Will it be any different to usual due to COVID-19 restrictions?

This year, due to Covid, we have been celebrating Pride as a company a little differently to how we usually would. All our celebrations and events have been virtual, but it has been fantastic to be able to reach a wider audience this way. We have held panel discussions on the intersectionality between ethnicity, faith and LGBT+, specifically to recognise the pivotal role that black trans people played in the Stonewall Uprising in 1969, and I’m really excited for our Pride Film & TV club event later in the month!

Pride is a celebration of acceptance and love, through festivals, parades and concerts, but it is also about raising awareness and shining a light on LGBTQIA+ issues - how can members of the LGBTQIA+ community and allies do so this Pride month?

I think it’s particularly important that allies get involved in Pride month, take the time to understand a bit more about LGBTQ+ history and the current global picture for equality. I would also encourage allies to take the time to understand the lived experience of LGBTQ+ people in your country or industry through the countless books, TV shows, films and podcasts – I’m currently watching Pose and learning so much!

Lastly, can you tell us what Pride means to you?

Pride to me is such an important time, it’s a time when I reflect on all the progress that we have made as a society towards inclusion and to recognise that today, as people in the LGBTQ+ community, we stand on the shoulders of all the people who fought so hard throughout history to make this progress possible. We know we still have a long way to go before we reach true global equality, but it reminds us that change is very much possible with the help of our friends and our allies. 

What does Pride mean to you? Comment below!

Other news